Friday, February 03, 2006

Some clever title about Berlin (maybe JFK...)

(Berlin,Germany) - I still have some more to write about the Korea trip, but am already on to the next thing. Spending 2.5 days in Berlin. Was invited to visit the BESSY German scientific facility here and am staying for an extra day to check out the city. More on that later, but now just something quick...

I have read that Berlin has 20% unemployment, which to me is quite amazing ´cause as far as I can tell it is BOOMING here. Fancy buildings goin up all over the place with an interesting mix of the old and the new. 20% unemployment ... I expected to see a place like Detroit,but instead I see Singapore. Let´s see if it holds up under the light of morning.

More later, but the most amazing thing I saw tonite in my evening tour of the city centre, was a picture of the parliament Reichstag building in 1945 showing a completely gutted and burned to a crisp shell presiding amidst a sea of smoking ruin right next to the actual new gleaming and totally rebuilt historic building. You wouldn´t believe it was the same building and it looked as it did from the spot I was standing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home