Thursday, September 29, 2005

Back to the Balkans

(Hvar, Croatia) - Well because I am a lamo, I still havent gotten those remain pictures up yet. I have been a little too busy recently to post much. Luckily this week I am a conference in Hvar Croatia. This is my 3rd trip to this beautiful little island in the Adriatic off the coast of Split, Croatia. A physics conference is held here every three years and I have been lucky enought to get invited each time they have held it.

It is interesting getting these snap shots in time of the country every 3 years and therby being able to judge development etc. When I came first in '99 the economy was still realing from the effects of the recent war, 50 years of capitalism and so prices were low and shops were somewhat empty (but it was beautiful). Three years later, prices were higher and shops were a little fuller (and the islands were still beautiful). Now in 2005, development has continued, Croatia is advertised all over Europe as a tourist destination, the main promenade in Split is starting to fill with all kinds of shops, and it is still pretty cheap (and still beautiful). What is not to like? Cheap and beautiful are my two favorite things and so I really like it here and am looking forward to having a fun filled week at my 'conference' with some swimming, a few good hikes, lots of Croatian red wine, and, 'oh yeah' I have to give a talk or something.

I could go on an on about how beautiful it is here, but instead I will just leave you with a picture or two.


A view of the harbor: Physics is hard


The harbor from the bird's eye view of the fortress

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home