Saturday, October 16, 2004

Emergency! Please email immediately!

(Geneva, Switz.) - Anyone out there who has moved to a new culture knows that certain things come up that no amount of pre-planning, research, or guidebooks could anticipate. One has to just learn to deal with these things as part-and-parcel of the experience and just hope that things don't turn out too poorly. So... here goes...I've gotten myself into a bit of a jam...a bit of a sit-yu-a-shun and I need help.

I opened the lid without thinking and now I need to know - does Nutella need to be refrigerated? Seriously. Honestly, I'm working at a loss here. Can one of my readers email with some info - right now. Maybe a european or barring that a shopper at Trader Joe's.

It kinda seems like it should be in the peanut butter food group (not refrigerated). But....

...one might make a peanut butter AND Nutella sandwich... which seems to indicate to me that it is should be in the jam/jelly/apple butter food group. This would mean it should be refrigerated. You see? - It's confusing. All the usual tests don't work.

Google is no help.

I'm gonna refrigerate it until I hear differently. Serious suggestions only please.

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Victoria Chang said...

P.Normous - To keep it spreadable, like PB, I'd park it out of the ice box. I know jars of PB have labels stating refrigerate after opening but I've been ignoring that for years. Enjoy.....

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Victoria Chang said...

...p.s., that was from Todd, not me (Victoria).

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Lthandius said...

Hi there.
I'm an italian guy. I'll try to help you.
As a matter of fact you could put it in the fridge, if you like it harder, less smooth on the bread. Otherwise you can store it in a dark and not humid place, and it will stay there for a long time (usually Nutella doesn't last long for other reasons... since it's irresistible).
Enjoy your Nutella!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Margolis said...

Hi,
I'm Italian, too, and my advice is simple: just put it at room temperature. It should be written on the Nutella's can that it is not advisable keeping it in the fridge and, listen to me, here in Italy it is FORBIDDEN as a cultural fact :)
The Nutella is a thermothropic fluid :) and its thickness depends on the external temperature in a proprotional way: if outside is a little colder then Nutella becomes thicker (if you put it into the fridge it would become hard as a rock, but you won't), if you put it onto a hot (not too much, just slightly) surface, it becomes a perfect cream to dip biscuits or what else into :)
Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home